Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Social Network: A story of Success or Failure?


So, I watched "The Social Network" this morning for the first time. I have been meaning to see this movie for the last couple of months now but never had the time.

First off, I thought it was very well written and acted in. I liked the movie because it didn't feel like a biographical picture. I'm sure there were some slightly fictional parts added for enjoyment, but for the most part it seemed to be believable. It was easy to follow, and though I am not willing to say it will be the best movie of the year, I can say that it deserves to be in the conversation.

With that being said, when I ask myself the 4 questions that I challenge our middle schoolers to ask when watching, reading or listening to media, I became a little bit disturbed. Here are the 4 questions and my answers.
**(Remember, I am assuming that the actions portrayed in the movie "The Social Network" are TRUE)
**

1. What is the Story? How through deceit, distortion and betrayal Mark Zuckerberg founded the Billion dollar internet social network known as FACEBOOK.

2. What is true in the story? There is an never ending dissatisfaction in the heart of those who have what the world considers to be success, when it comes at the price of hurting others. (In the movie there seemed to be a unhappiness in the portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg. Almost like he was searching for something that money couldn't buy.)

3. What is False in the story? That deceit, distortion and betrayal brings success in life.

4. Where does God's word apply? I think there are many ways God's word can apply.
Here are two ways that come to mind. Matthew 16:26 says, "And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?" Not only can our actions affect those around us, but it also affects our souls. Is gaining the things of this world worth our souls?

John 1:4 "In Him (Jesus) there (is) life, and the life (is) the light of men."
and John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the father but by me."Money and notoriety do not give light, nor does it give life. Jesus Christ alone does.

The answer is not to STOP watching movies or media (I would hate that), but the answer is to be able to respond to it.

Just food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment