Saturday, February 19, 2011

Storytelling...A Lost Art!?!?!


...this morning as I was about to get out of bed and head over to the library, I grabbed the remote, began switching through the stations and one of my favorite movies was on: "Enemy of the State." 1998 spy-thriller film directed by Tony Scott about a group of rogue NSA agents who kill a Congressman in a politically-motivated murder, and then try to cover up the murder by destroying evidence and intimidating witnesses. The film stars Will Smith and Gene Hackman.

Despite the fact that I have seen this movies probably 5 times in its entirety, and probably 10 times in it partiality I found myself compelled. Finally, I had to turn it off because I could feel myself doing what I seem to do so often...Feeling obligated to watch the movie again in its entirety to relive the outcome.

What is it that draws us to movies and other forms of media? The story...

I am currently reading a book called: "Storytelling: Imagination and Faith." Its challenging preachers, teachers and parents to go back to the "first" ways that God spoke through his prophets and son...Storytelling!

It challenges us that not only should we tell the sacred stories of the canonized bible but also tap our own human stories. The Author: William Bausch says, "...all human stories have meaning underneath the meaning that evoke subtle or overt responses from us...all stories are ultimately theological"

After Jesus ascended into heaven, the first generation Christians found themselves dry and lacking the presence of God. So what did they do? They sat around the table and began to ask the original witnesses the stories of Jesus. I would have loved to have been around that table to hear those stories from the mouth of Matthew, Mark Luke and John... That's how our faith began. Through Stories.

Let's not allow the power of storytelling to be lost...

"The approach to truth for our generation starts from Life (stories) rather than dogma (Doctrine)" John Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment